[Video] Coffee Break: How to Cope with Upwork’s Recent Changes
Coffee Break with Freelancing.ph Admins is a quarterly webinar where we answer your freelancing questions. For this episode, we discussed a very pressing topic. As of this writing, Upwork’s new sliding fee 20%-10%-5% is now in effect. If you’re not sure how to deal with this, make sure to watch the video below.
How to Cope With Upwork’s Recent Changes
- Go to Linkedin and get the premium account if you can.
- Pimp your profile and copy the ones that are really good looking in your industry.
- Contact the ones that viewed your profile and connect with virtual agencies so that they will get wind of your existence.
- Look for other platforms that can provide the same protection as Upwork’s.
- If clients are already trusted clients, then discuss doing direct transactions with them.
- Join communities to see what other freelancer’s think about the update or to see what other options you may have.
- Market yourself outside freelancing platforms.
- Invest in yourself and improve your skills.
- Never settle.
- Know your worth. Charge base on your skills and experience.
- Always build a long lasting relationship and don’t burn bridges.
- Have a specialization.
- Embrace the change. Factor in the rate increase (20%) when bidding for jobs. Fixed price jobs are still option.
- Be selective of the client. If possible look for longer term/ongoing contracts.
- Look for other opportunities outside Upwork. It all boils down to being visible and maintaining a strong personal brand.
If you haven’t watched our first episode, you can watch the Ask Me Anything session here. Until the next Coffee Break session!
Rhea, Floyd, Aki, Juay & Cath